Nandi Hills


Date: 11 January 2015

Total distance: 146 Kilometers

Start Time: 4:15 am

Return Time: 2:00 pm

With: -

Altitude Profile:


It had been 6 months since I purchased the cycle and in all the journeys, I had never been able to climb a ghat/hill section. This was worrying me and wanted to test myself after 6 months of riding. I had attempted the Nandi Hill climb as soon as I had purchased the cycle 6 months back but could not complete it, the same at Mekedatu as well where I could not pedal up the small ghat. So, decided to try Nandi hills again.

I was charged up for the ride and woke up by 3:30 am and got ready. I left my place at 4:30 am. The weather was cold, roads were empty and the ride through the city was very nice. This time, I chose to ride on the flyover since the intention was to be able to ride all the uphill gradients. Since the weather was good, did not make any stops in between. The first stop was taken when I was 5 kilometers away from the foothill at 7:15 am.

I started the uphill climb at 7:30 am. Knew that the first half kilometer was going to be the most difficult part and this time managed to pedal the first half kilometer, however on reaching the end of the kilometer, my legs started cramping when I tried to stand and pedal. So was restricted to sitting on the saddle and pedaling. Continued with the climb and reached the 4 kilometer mark of the total of 8 kilometers uphill journey. I took a break since I knew that the gradient of the climb was going to increase significantly over the next 4 kilometers. Took a few snaps from the viewpoint.



There were a lot of tourists, as it was a Saturday morning, but no cyclists as yet. Everyone was either in a car or on their bikes. Resumed the uphill journey, and this time I made it to the top at 8:45 am. Surprisingly I did not find the gradient too steep, probably I expected it to be more and therefore was able to make it to the top with just another short break of 10 seconds. Went to the ticket counter and paid the entry fees and headed towards the gate, where I was told that the cycle is not allowed inside, only 4 wheelers are allowed and I had to park the cycle in the two wheeler parking which was at the ticket counter. However, the guards at the gate said that I could park next to the gate and proceed on foot to the peak. Took all the accessories from the cycle and locked the cycle and walked up to the peak thinking that I would have breakfast at the hotel at the peak. To my utter disbelief, there was a serpentine queue of people waiting for the breakfast at the hotel. Decided to have breakfast at the foothill and went to the skywalk and Tipu’s drop viewpoint before heading down.






I reached the foothill within 15 minutes of starting at the top. I stopped at one of the restaurants at the foothill for breakfast. It was 9:00 am. That is when a lot of cyclists were just arriving to begin the climb. Finished breakfast which was a plate of oily puri’s, stocked up on water and juice and headed back.

I had a very content feeling since I had managed to climb to the top. Even more satisfying was that I had done it in spite of having cramps due to which I could not stand and pedal. Started the return journey at 10:00 am and rode at a stretch to make it back by 2:00 pm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paris Brest Paris 2023

ISAN 2020 - 2,024 kilometer brevet

Gates of Heaven - 2018 Edition (1,200 Kilometer Brevet)